Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Flame Test Lab



I want to talk about the introduction to this unit, because it was quite interesting, so lets jump back a few days. The Flame Test! Basically, we were tasked with testing different chemical solutions over a Bunsen burner to see what color they burned. It made no sense to me at first, but then I understood once we started talking about wavelengths. We all know the visible light spectrum, ROYGBIV of course, but do we all know the wavelength of those colors? Did we know that wavelength is directly proportional to energy? Let's take a look:
As you can see, violet light has the most energy and the shortest wavelength. I was unaware of this before the flame test lab. Yes, It was cool to see this
but understanding what elements are present in those solutions and the colors they burned reallly helped me draw a line between the element and it's properties.
If you would like to try this lab, be careful and take precautions.

1 comment:

  1. With your pictures I was really able to figure out how you knew the wavelengths of the colors.

    ReplyDelete